Friday, July 31, 2009

A Room of One's Own


I have a confession to make. Although I've missed my husband and daughter this week while they travel, I've enjoyed having my bedroom to myself.
When I was a little girl, I shared a room with my older sister. Somewhere around 10 or 11, I moved into a tiny, closet of a room with a bed that had built in drawers, which I loved. My room is where I went to write and read and dream. In college, in grad school, I shared a dorm room or apartment. Then, before I was married, I had a whole apartment to myself for a few years. For the past 19 years, I've been sharing my bedroom with a very thoughtful man, who makes the bed each morning when he gets out of it, still... to have a room of one's own, ah...
This week, when I get up at 5 or 5:30. I turn on the light rather than groping around in the dark. I don't have to worry about setting out my running clothes and hanging my work clothes on the bathroom door. I leave the door of the bedroom open so a breeze wafts in from the bedroom windows while I work on my computer here in this square hallway/office. I sit cross-legged on my bed facing the darkened windows to meditate and visualize. I put my hands palm up on my crossed legs and feel the possibilities in my palms, the open palms that can easily receive or give. A deep breath that I feel and hear in the quiet of my room. I open my eyes and look at the treetops through the three-paned, Arts & Crafts window. I am at peace.
In a few days, the rest of my family will be home. I'll mute my computer while I work early in the morning and I'll tiptoe out of the bedroom in the morning, trading strong arms and a warm body in my bed for the privacy that I'll have all too soon when the kids leave for homes of their own.

5 comments:

Linda said...

I too dearly love my husband but I sure do sleep well when I'm on my own. I'm sure he does too. Plus, I don't have to share the TV remote control.

Sheila said...

That picture makes me want to clean out my room and spruce it up a bit. I have visions of my room being a peaceful refuge but now it's just a place to dump all the clutter.

I actually don't sleep better without Dan, I get scared when he's not here. But it is nice having the bed all to myself. :)

Sheila said...

Ooh I just remembered a dream I had last night, you wanted me to write a character into one of your books. Wierd! It was a troubled kid, he was just going to be in one scene(I don't know what word you use for a book) of the book. I can't remember anything else about it. Hmm that's a a strange thing to dream about.

Stephanie said...

I want the view from that room. Ahh!

I too need to use stealth capabilites to get ready for my predawn runs so as not to disturb anyone, although it seems the quieter I try to be, the more racket I make.

So Sheila, do you have strange dreams with or without your husband in bed?

Ruth said...

Hey, I had the same room. It was a "Sewing" room with louvered doors and just big enough for my bed, nothing else

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...