Tuesday, October 02, 2012

First Chapter, Tuesday Teaser -- They Eat Puppies Don't They


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
I'm going to try Christoher Buckley's latest They Eat Puppies Don't They. My favorite of his so far was Thank You For Smoking about a cigarette lobbyist. This one deals with government types too. Here's the opening:
The senator from the great state of New York had been droning on for over five minutes; droning about drones. 
Bird McIntyre sat in the first row behind his boss, the recipient of the senatorial cataract of words. He scribbled a note on a piece of paper and passed it forward.  
Chick Devlin glanced at the note. He let the senator continue for several more mind-numbing minutes so as not to appear prompted by Bird's note. Finally, seizing on an ellipsis, he leaned forward into the microphone across the green-baize-covered table and said, "Senator, pardon my French, but isn't the whole point to scare the shit out of them?"
 

Also this week is Teaser Tuesdays.
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along!
Open to a random page of your current read and share a teaser sentence from somewhere on that page.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS!
Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers.
Here's mine from page 63:
Lo hesitated, to show he was being courteous in vouchsafing such confidential information. "Do you want to know everything, Comrade, or just enough?"


 I'm looking forward to a fun read.

6 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, I like the descriptions, especially "droning about drones" and a "cataract of words."

Definitely would keep reading.

Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Well I like both excerpts you shared here! Thanks for your visit to my blog!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I hated the title of this book, so I never bothered to check out what it was about. I like the intro, but won't read it because of the title...LOL weird I know -- enjoy and thanks for joining in today.

Sonia Lal said...

That's a funny paragraph - I like!

Nise' said...

I have not read this author. Sounds like it is humerous.

The More the Merrier said...

Interesting Teaser! Sounds like a good book.
Thanks for dropping by my teaser:)

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...