Friday, January 03, 2014

Winter Warmth

Two years ago, we had a very mild winter. The tulips were blooming in February. We had hardly any freezing weather.
The sleeves on my wool winter coat were worn thin, but I figured if the following winter was equally mild then I wouldn't need a new coat. I loved that winter coat, a chocolate brown Calvin Klein with a shawl collar. I would pull the tie closed around my waist and the wool reached down mid-thigh. A friend knitted a bright pink scarf that I could wrap around my neck. It was the perfect bright accessory to the dark coat.
I determined to avoid buying a new coat last year. With global warming, and if we had a winter like the one the year before, I figured I could simply layer sweaters.
But last year was much colder. I ended up wearing my coat with the sleeves worn thin, much too often.
This fall, I hoped for a warm winter again, but winter tore into Ohio in November and hasn't let up. On Tuesday, I finally got a new winter coat.
Just in time because today the temperatures dropped to zero, following yesterday's six inches of snow. If I ever needed a winter coat, this is the time.

7 comments:

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

You look lovely in your new coat! Stay warm & Happy New Year!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Cute coat! We are in a severe weather warning here with temps to 35 below over the weekend.

Jeanie said...

We're going through the same thing up here in Michigan. Keep as cozy as you can -- even with a fab coat it isn't that easy!

grammajudyb said...

Great coat. Classic plaid. I love plaid. I've been thinking of a new coat too, but I always have trouble finding one to fit. If it fits my larger hips, it is too big through the shoulders and the arms are too long. Bummer!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I got a new coat last week, a padded one, I don't think I would be warm enough in one like yours , and we don't have 0 temps here , well not yet.

Lucia said...

I too am looking for a new coat. Can't find one I like anywhere! May go downtown today and look!
I like yours "houndstooth" is that what they call the pattern?
This winter is brutal. We are experiencing a flash freeze I made in thru the slush and puddles but tonight will be
another story, hopefully the salters and plows do their jobs!

Lucia said...

not hounds tooth definitely plaid

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...