Friday, August 15, 2014

Restful Sleep

First, shameless self promotion: my novel The Summer of France is only 99 cents on Kindle today, both in the U.S. and the U.K.
Here's a review that was posted yesterday on Amazon by someone who calls herself  "crazy for reading"
Loved this story! I stayed up till after midnight each night reading it after my family went to bed. So many twists and turns I didn't want to quit.
If you haven't read it, hope you'll give it a try.
Today, my family will gather again, five adults in our small house, for another week before my sons head off to college next week. (Grace is in and out since she has an apartment about 20 minutes away.)
But on the first night that I spent home alone since...forever maybe, I went to bed and did not wake  up for seven hours, until the cat jumped on me at 6 a.m.
Some people think that sleep is only disrupted while kids are babies, but I can tell you that teenagers disrupt sleep even more.
Here's Tucker in his portable hammock. He looks kind of bored.
In my house, someone is pretty much always awake and rambling around the house. They come in at different hours. They're searching for food at 3 in the morning. The television in the living room may be too loud. The floors squeak, the toilet flushes.
I cannot remember the last time that I went to sleep and was oblivious to everything until the next morning.
It was beautiful.
Of course, part of that restful sleep might have to do with the fact that I knew the boys were with their father camping, rather than on a college campus, where they might or might not find trouble. So I may not sleep so peacefully once they've moved to college.
I'd better enjoy them while I can!

3 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hi Paulita, I know all about cats waking you up. Unfortunately out cats died but my mother-in-laws cat us a pain and wakes up all up with the meowing because he will not drink out of bowl , only out of the TAP!! This was really learnt as a kitten but now an old cat.

I am so glad that you slept so well , I know what you mean about the boys, I did worry about my sons , worse time was if I knew the eldest was going out on the town with his mates in the Forces. Not so much about the youngest though , different altogether,

Paulita said...

Anne, Thanks for sharing your own experiences. I know I'm not alone. Those cats sure are going to miss my boys when they leave for college.

Just Me said...

I loved this post. It made me smile and my heart patter. So enjoyed the pictures of your guys.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...