Thursday, October 09, 2014

Life With Girls

Grace has been frantic with a production at her college where she is helping with hair and makeup and costumes, so I haven't seen her for a few weeks. And, of course, in the midst of not having time to rest, she has gotten sick. Last week she started telling me about a cough and feeling bad.
On Saturday, as the show wrapped up, she texted me that she had a fever.
On Sunday, she texted that she might have strep. 
On Monday, the text informed me that she was retching over the toilet, planning to skip class to go to the health center. 
Finally!
The health center said she had flu symptoms and she could only treat the symptoms.
That afternoon, I received this picture of Grace along with the words:
"Told you I was sick."

Now with Ebola being the big scare in the news, Grace is lucky that I know her pretty well. I knew she was teaching high school students how to do makeup for a production of Dracula rather than dying of Ebola.
Still, many mothers may not have taken it as well as I did.
In spite of the vampire makeup, I can tell she is not feeling well. 
I got some one-on-one girl time with my great nieces on Wednesday while their mom went to the dentist.
We played some horses and danced to some Disney songs. Then I took 2-year-old Regan upstairs for a nap. 
You can  tell she was tired. She's still gorgeous with her big eyes and olive skin. Her hair is not really growing, at least not growing down. It seems to be piling up on top of her head. I love this picture of her.
Caroline and I made some cookies. They are a gluten-free family, which means no wheat. So we made no-bake cookies with oatmeal, peanut butter, butter, milk and cocoa. 
After we stir them on the stove, we plop them onto waxed paper so they'll harden as the butter cools. 
Caroline put herself in charge of licking the pan. She got every bit of chocolate, well, what didn't remain on her face. 

So, I am  loving my relatively calm time with the girls in my life.
My boys are still giving me headaches, so I'll just come up with a yoga mantra that has to do with those lovely nieces and my beautiful, hopefully recovering, daughter.

4 comments:

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Hope Grace is feeling better soon…that photo could have been a real scare….good thing she knew you have a good sense of humor!!! :0)

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hi Paulita ..I had a bit of a scare with photo of Grace! But then I read on. I do hope she is feeling better very soon. I don't have a daughter but I do have 3 grandaughters ..ages 7 ' 5 and 1 nearly 2. The eldest two give me a headache :-) .. wonder what they are going to be like when they are older.. the boys and I get in great. The eldest being 11 even texts me..had a lovely text when on holiday . " Hi Nanny, I am at school waiting for the school bell to ring, playing with my friends. .. I thought of you. I do hope you are having a super holiday. Love you loads " I was over the moon.

grammajudyb said...

You can sure tell you are all family. Such big eyes! Hope Grace is feeling better, it's hard to know your grown up kids are sick and you can't really help.:(

Lucia said...

Love the make up. Just catching up on my blogs. I returned from Mexico and was so scared of the germs that I would catch on the plane. I did catch something, montazuma's revenge Canada style. I was quite well in Mexico. As for girls and boys, my girl gives me headaches at 16, unbelievably messey. I have no patience with her cleanliness. But I'm her number one ball fan! I was the same way, I just need to learn patience. Boys seem easier but I'm probably wrong.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...