Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Tuesday Intros -- Oh! You Pretty Things


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.

I picked this up at the library because the cover looked so appealing. Oh! You Pretty Things by Shanna Mahin is about a woman in Hollywood, trying to make it big, and her relationship with her mother, a failed actress. Here's the intro:
A few hours before I quit my job, I'm stuck at the light on Rose and Pacific, watching a string of kids wearing T-shirts emblazoned with the name of their preschool -- "Blackberry Atelier" -- as they cross the dirty asphalt. Harried teachers urge them onward while supermodel-beautiful moms in Fred Segal sweatpants bring up the rear, tapping urgently on their cell phones. 
I like the sound of this irreverent, detailed scene.
I'll look forward to seeing what everyone else is reading.

7 comments:

JoAnn said...

I'd pick that up based on the cover, too, but the opening is also promising. Enjoy!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I love stories set in Hollywood...this one sounds full of possibilities.

Here's mine: “THE SHORE”

Monica's Bookish Life said...

I love the cover, and the opening is great. I'd keep reading!

Suzie Quint said...

The opening is so vivid. I can picture those moms so clearly.

Margot said...

That introductory paragraph is quite the teaser. Sounds good. I too love the cover.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Sounds fun! I might try a bit more even though it isn't one I'd immediately be drawn to. Hope you enjoy it.

Terra said...

Nice idea to post first paragraphs and that is a nice cover.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...